Re: Rom. 6.19

David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:32:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, James H. Vellenga wrote:

> When translating Rom 6.19 I came across the phrase
>
> DOULA THi AKAQARSIAi KAI THi ANOMIAi EIS THN ANOMIAN
>
> (roughly, "slaves to the impurity and to the lawlessness
> into/to/for/toward the lawlessness").
>
> Existing translations seem to handle this three ways:
>
> A) intepreting the repetition as meaning "even more" -- i.e., "slaves to
> impurity and to ever-increasing lawlessness" (Williams, NIV, NRSV, for
> example)
>
> B) dropping EIS THN ANOMIAN as a gloss that some scribe introduced to
> balance the EIS hAGIASMON at the end of the verse (Moffatt, citing Hort,
> and apparently the Jerusalem Bible)
>
> C) shifting the meaning, as in "lawlessness [leading] to moral anarchy"
> (NEB, NASB)
>
> So what I want to know is
>
> 1) Are there other examples of the use of EIS that support either A) or
> C)? The instances of duplication to indicate "even more" that I'm aware
> of in the NT are not exactly parallel. John 1.16 ("graciousness upon
> graciousness") uses ANTI, while 2 Cor. 3.18 ("from glory to glory") uses
> APO ... EIS .... Neither of these cases uses the simple EIS.
>
> 2) Is there any documentary support for option B? I have access only to
> an unannotated Nestle's.
>
> 3) Is it possible to interpret EIS here as "for the sake of," as in
> "slaves to the impurity and to the lawlessness for the sake of the
> lawlessness [itself]"?
>
> Comments appreciated.

There is an interesting article on the meaning of ANOMIA as used
in 1 Jn. by a French Roman Catholic scholar whose name I don't remember
at the moment since I'm away from my library. He suggested that its
meaning has to do with the kind of radical rebellion against God that is
to be characteristic of the antichrist.

When I have the book at hand, I'll send the bibliographic data.

Since the second use of ANOMIA in the verse cited suggests an
intensified meaning - case C above - the meaning may be something like,
"servants of uncleanness and of lawlessness to the point of utter
rebellion [against God]." The use of EIS to indicate other kinds of
movement than physical movement is, I believe, fairly well established.

Hope this may be helpful,

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education
http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore