Re: Pocket Concordance

Davis Phillips (dphil@mail.utexas.edu)
Thu, 23 May 1996 17:48:11 -0500

Edgar M. Krentz wrote:
>It is based on the textus receptus, was originally done about 1820 in
>England, uses a very small Greek font that also uses ligatures, and is very
>tiny in the photographic reprint done in Athens. My copy used to go with me
>to all meetings; now I take the small edition of Schmoller, the same size
>as the 27th Aland.
>
>Schmidt is a good buy. Cost about $5.00 in Athens. If people need it, I
>could post the address [since my copy is in my office, I cannot do it at
>this moment.] emkrentz@mcs.com

I purchased my copy of Schmidt in 1990 for about 700 drachmas (or maybe
1200): about $4.50 (or $7.50). Here is the title and address of the
publisher:

TAMEION KAINHS DIATHHKHS or Concordance to the Greek New Testament: an
abridgment from the edition of Erasmus Schmidt made by W. Greenfield
(Athens: <ASTIR> PUBLISHING COMPANY, AL. & E. PAPADEMETRIOU, LYCURGUS
STREET 10, ATHENS. PRINTED IN GREECE 1984. (EKDOTIKOS OIKOS <ASTHR>)

(from the English preface: "The present edition is an abridgment of the
Concordance of [Erasmus] Schmidt[1638], edited in 1830 by William
Greenfield in a small volume with the exception of superficial elements
such as Proper Names and constantly recurring Particles and Pronouns, so
that the book becomes very handy and easy to use, when studying the New
Testament.")

Davis Phillips, Senior Systems Analyst, College of Liberal Arts
University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712 USA
Internet: dphil@mail.utexas.edu
Phone: (512) 471-4141 FAX: (512) 471-4518