Re: Does the NT authors use of "God sent his only son" imply...

Wed, 31 Jul 1996 20:06:23 -0400

At 3:36 PM -0400 7/31/96, kcew32b@prodigy.com wrote:
>I came into an interesting perspective and I wanted to know from
>those on the list I have come to trust if the argument holds
>exegetical water. The question is, does the NT authors' use of
>"God sent his only son..." imply the assumption of the pre-existance
>of Jesus before his birth. Clearly John's gospel has this in
>mind, but the usage of the word "sent" is more widespread than that.
>
>The idea being that in English the word send implies that you have what
>you are sending in your possession. Does the Greek shed any evidence on
>this issue.
>
>Another way of asking the question is, "How early in the church tradition is
>the doctrine of Jesus' preexistance?" and a follow-up question is, "What
>evidence for doctrine of the Trinitarian formula of persons in the Godhead
>is there in the NT texts."
>
>I know that these are controversial religious issues, and I am not trying to
>stir that fire. I am primarily interested in the arguement that the "sent"
>formulations are evidence of an early doctrine of Jesus' pre-existance which
>reaches its full expression in John.
>
>Please post back to the list as I am in the process of changing email
>services.

While I do believe that the author of John's gospel holds a high
Christology, I think that the better place to see pre-existence indicated
would be in Jesus' declaration in Jn 8:58 (PRIN ABRAAM GENESQAI EGW EIMI).
I do not think that the language of SENDING, specificially the use of
PEMPEIN, necessarily implies pre-existence. The Platonic Socrates,
particularly in the _Apology_ uses this same verb to refer to himself as a
missionary sent by hO QEOS (by which he presumably means Apollo) to the
Athenians to awaken them from their dogmatic slumbers--pretty clearly he is
pointing to a deliberate divine purpose in his "mission to the Athenians"
rather than to any personal pre-existence of his own. I would be somewhat
leery also of overstating the implications of MONOGENHS: it may or may not
mean more than that Jesus Christ is unique among the sons of God. Here,
after all, is where Christology begins historically: in the effort to
clarify how Jesus is both LIKE and UNLIKE other human beings.

(314) 935-4018