Re: Pro-seminar literature synoptics?

Stephen C Carlson (scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 11:24:31 -0400 (EDT)

J.D.F.=van=Halsema%BW_KG%TheoFilos@esau.th.vu.nl wrote:
>Next year I have to give a course on the synoptic problem (Q, Redaction-
>History) to a group of what Americans would call undergraduate students.
>Germans would speak of a pro-seminar.
>Question: next to the books of Streeter, Schulz, Schmithals and
>Sanders/Davies, are there any other titles (monographs and essays) you would
>like to recommend to me?
>I thought I might venture to ask this question because I presume that not a
>few members of this list also give this course.

I am maintaining a web page devoted to the Synoptic Problem, and I would
love to see the answers to this query also go to this list. I have found
the following textbook to be a very good and lucid introduction to the
Synoptic Problem as well as form and redaction criticism:

Robert H. Stein, THE SYNOPTIC PROBLEM: An Introduction (Grand Rapids,
Mich.: Baker Books, 1987).

It is written at a level that is appropriate for American undergraduate
students, as well as being quite detailed.

If you are interested in a more technical overview of the major arguments
and seminal essays both for and against the Two Source Hypothesis, then

Arthur J. Bellinzoni, Jr., ed., THE TWO-SOURCE HYPOTHESIS: A Critical
Appraisal (Macon, Ga.: Mercer Univ. Press, 1985)

is an excellent resource.

I also would welcome any suggestions on how the Synoptic Problem Home
Page, now at http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/, may be improved.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
scarlso1@osf1.gmu.edu              : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs