Re: John 17:19, HGIASMENOI; 17:25, extra KAI?

Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Sat, 31 Aug 1996 23:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Jonathan:

This could be a use of the pefect known as "the intensive perfect" where the
context depicts a prior act which issued in a new state of affairs. He has
sanctified us and we reamain sanctified because of the intercessory work
that He does.

As far as John 17:25, I believe that Leon Morris in his commentary says,"
the KAI is used as an equivalent of "both" i.e."both the world and these."

At 05:31 PM 8/31/96 EDT, you wrote:
>Here is John 17:19:
>
> KAI hUPER AUTWN EGW AGIAZW EMAUTON,
> hINA WSIN KAI AUTOI *HGIASMENOI* EN ALHQEIA.
>
> ("and for them do I sanctify myself, that they also
> themselves may be sanctified in truth.")
>
>Zerwick and Grosvenor has this note: "HGIASMENOI: (pf part pass) made (and kept
>-- pf) holy for their God-given task".
>
>Why does the perfect imply "and kept"?
>
>And here is John 17:25:
>
> PATER DIKAIE, KAI hO KOSMOS SE OUK EGNW
>
>Zerwick and Grosvenor mention that "the force of the first KAI is not
clear". Is
>it clear to any of y'all?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jonathan