Re: Periphrastic constructions with multiple participles (Mar 1:6)

Sat, 7 Sep 1996 10:59:12 -0500

At 11:56 AM -0500 9/7/96, Mike Phillips wrote:
> I just want to confirm that Mar 1:6 has one imperfect form of EIMI that
>might be construed in periphrastic construct with two participles, the first,
>ENDEDUMENOS (Perfect) and the second, ESQIWN (present). I am uncertain as to
>the latter - whether it can use the same EIMI as the former or requires its
>own?

I don't see any reason why a second form of EIMI should be required. I
don't know what the grammatical authorities may say about this, but it
seems to me that the fundamental principle governing these so-called
periphrastic tenses is that the participle thus used with a form of EIMI
functions syntactically in the same way as does a predicate adjective or
predicate noun: i.e. it is in agreement in number, gender, and case. That
is to say, the participle is treated like an adjective. Perhaps this may
sometimes appear confusing, as in English, when one says, "I was tired
out": is this a passive verb? or is it a past tense of BE with a predicate
adjective? To be clear you'd probably have to add a qualifier clearly
indicating a passive verb: "I was tired out by my interrogators." But how
is that different in meaning from: "I was tired out as a result of the
examination"?

(314) 935-4018