Re: Test message after the hurricane...

09 Sep 96 10:34:12 EDT

At 9:34 AM -0500 9/9/96, David John Marotta, (804) 982-3718 wrote:
>We had some electrical problems here in Charlottesville (the host
>of this mailling list). After the hurricane Thursday evening power
>was out in about half of the city and surrounding county. We
>lost power and didn't get it back until Sunday evening spending our
>time eating everything in our freezer, cooking on the grill and
>playing games and reading books by hurracane lanterns (appropriately
>named inventions) after sunset.
>
>The mailling lists may have been down for a while, and this is a test
>message to make sure that they are working correctly.

I think everything without exception has come out to the midwest without any interruption I'm aware of. Apparently Jonathan Robie in Durham, NC, has been having some of the same problems as you. I'm reminded of my family's Christmas of 1994 in the mountains of western NC when our water system failed (had to have our reservoir re-dug and new water-lines brought down from the spring to the house) and we felt like we were "camping out indoors." It's weird to be able to cook and keep food stored safely but to have no plumbing. I guess it's even more weird to have the plumbing but no gas or electricity.

Regards, cwc