Re: Numbered/counted.

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:53:55 -0400

Carlton L. Winbery wrote:

> >At 4:48 PM -0500 9/12/96, John M. Moe wrote:
> >>hai trixes ths kefalhs pasai hriymhmenai eisin (Matt. 10:30)
> >>Does this mean they are all counted? (as in the total is a certain #)
> >>Or does it mean they are numbered? (as in each one has a # assigned to it)

> To which Carl Conrad wrote;
> >Given the context of this passage in Mt--and its akin to that passage on
> >God's providence in Mt 6--I would assume that the former explanation is
> >more likely--that the exact sum of one's hairs is known (because He counted
> >each one and said, "That's all they is they ain't no moe")--that the most
> >intimate and trivial details of each person's identity and destiny are
> >known to God and, because within His ken, not subject to peril apart from
> >his knowledge and consent.
> >
> >Supposedly this is a comforting thought, but some anxious persons might
> >very well be given cause to tremble, should they take it altogether
> >seriously.
> >

> I once saw a copy of what was purported to be an old manuscript that had at
> the end of this verse, DESPOTA, TIS TOUTWN hOI OUK EXOUSIN TRICAS; To
> which Jesus replied, OLIGOPISTE, OU GINWSKETE hOTI KAI TOIS hUSTERHSASIN
> TWN TRICWN, hH AGAPH TOU QU (QEOU) PERISSEUEI;
>
> Is this language close to anything you have seen in the Hellenistic world?

It looks like it could pass for Hellenistic Greek, although the
plural GINWSKETE does not agree in number with the singular vocative
OLIGOPISTE, but one wonders if it is a real manuscript or some scholar's ruse.
If real, it must be an interpolation by a bald scribe.

--
David L. Moore                             Director
Miami, Florida, USA                        Department of Education