Re: On the Right & Left of Jesus (Mt20:21-23)

Larry Chouinard (fa78935@kcc.edu)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen,

You may be on to something by the reference to sitting on the <left and
right> of Jesus. The one problem I find is v.23, which seems to view the
<left and right> as positions of privilege afforded only by God. I am
also somewhat confused by your reference to Jesus" words as ironical.
Certainly the disciples see the positions as places of honor. Are you
suggesting that Jesus picks up on their language and answers in terms of
his approaching crucifixion? Thus, he is telling them that to be
crucified, one on the left and the other on the right was something only
the Father could grant. Hence, Jesus would be turning their request for
places of privilege into a subtle allusion to his death.

Have I understood your position correctly? If so, it appears that v.23
poses a problem for your interpretation. However, I do like the
observation concerning the presence of the mother of the sons of Zebedee
and the <right/left> reference at the cross.

Thanks for your observations.

Larry Chouinard
Kentucky Christian College