Re: The word 'Euphrates' and its meaning

Mr. Timothy T. Dickens (MDick39708@gnn.com)
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 21:23:06

>Mr. Timothy T. Dickens wrote:
>>
>> Dear Friends,
>>
>> How does the Hebrew word 'phrt' become 'Euphrates' in
>> English? First, 'Euphrates is a Greek word, and when I looked
it up in the 9th ed. of LSJ, I did not find one single entry! It
is obvious to me that the ...phr...' in Euphrates is from the
Hebrew 'phrt.' But just what 'Euphrates' is suppossed to mean in
Greek is beyond me (or LSJ 9th ed.)

> I don't think the Greek "Euphrates" is taken from the Hebrew
>'PHRT' (divide, branch off) but from the Avestan "huperethra"
>(Good to Cross Over).
>
>Jack Kilmon

Dear Jack,

Would you please tell me why you suggest the 'Avestan'
meaning?

Thanks

Timothy T. Dickens
Smyrna, GA

MDick39708@gnn.com Home
ttd3@Columbia.edu School

Philosophy means the study of wisdom, and by wisdom we understand not only prudence in affairs, but also a perfect knowledge of all things which man can know both for the conduct of his life and for the conservation of his health and
the invention of all the arts."

Rene Descartes, French Philosopher, scientist and mathematician,