RE: Why isn't BAPTIZW translated

Mike Phillips (mphilli3@mail.tds.net)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:09:24 -0700

> From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>, on 9/19/96 10:26 AM:
> Mk 1:9 KAI EGENETO EN EKEINAIS TAIS hHMERAIS HLQEN IHSOUS APO NAZARET THS
> GALILAIAS KAI EBAPTISQH EIS TON IORDANHN hUPO IWANNOU. "And it turned out
> in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was dunked in
> the Jordan by John."

Does the context suggest whether the goal and Jesus were regulation
size? If not, would it still be considered an efficacious dunking? Or, do we
just assume since our goals and dunkees are precisely regulated, their's must
have been also, in order that all things be done decently and in order?

Ooo, do you suppose it was a Slllaaam Dunk?
or would first century Jews have done a Shalooom Dunk?
I wonder what their concept of an 'Around the World' might have been?

Mike Phillips
mphilli3@indy.tdsnet.com

A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanging;
it is the skin of living thought and changes from day
to day as does the air around us. - Oliver Wendell Holmes