Proclaiming Christ, not yourself!

StNazian@aol.com
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:25:16 -0400

Paul Evans writes:

I conscientiously
>avoid, wherever possible, phrases like, "The original Greek says,"
>or "The Greek word for ***** is...." I simply say something like,
>"This phrase means," or "The author intends for us to understand
>******* by this word."

I think the finest warning about such selftrumpeting (warned against here) is
Ed Goodrich's visionary classic "Do it Yourself Greek and Hebrew." There is
a section called "the exegete and his temptaion" that is just brilliant. How
anyone can be so funny, so right, and so ontrack about the usually dull
subject of classic languages, I just don't know how he did it. Y'all should
check it out! I think its from Multnomah Press.