Re: AF' hOU, EN hWi

Tue, 24 Sep 1996 16:51:41 -0500

At 1:08 PM -0500 9/24/96, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:
>Would you all agree that the temporal phrases AF' hOU (eg., Luke 13:24) and
>EN hWi (eg., Mark 2:19) should also be parsed as Neuter ? This seems to be
>the position of BDF #383(1) where they say, "The meaning 'until' = ES hO
>(Hdt.) must therefore also be attibuted to EN hWi Lk 19:13...(cf. EN hOSWi
>'until' Thuc 4.52.3...)...".

I would think Yes; although this may not be relevant, it strikes me that it
is also consistent with the regular use of the neuter article to create new
adverbial expressions, a tendency not absent from earlier Greek but seeming
to proliferate in Koine (it seems to me that Aristotle's guilty of coining
such adverbial expressions to a very great extent, but he may simply be
venting an already growing tendency). I'm thinking of such expressions as
TO KAQ' hOLOU (= TO KAQOLOU), TO KATA MEROS; TO NUN one already finds in
classical Attic.

(314) 935-4018