Re: Gal 2:13 SUNAPHXQH

Tue, 24 Sep 1996 10:50:11 -0500

At 10:23 AM -0500 9/24/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Zerwick's "Grammatical Analysis" implies that the force of this is "was
>actually
>carried away", and refers to section #350 of his Greek Grammar. Alas, the Duke
>University Book Store has not been able to get me a copy of his Greek Grammar,
>which may be out of print.
>
>Zerwick says: "SUN-AP-HXQH aor. pass. ap-agw lead/carry away; force of indic.
>(opp. inf.) was actually... #350."
>
>Can anybody explain to me where the "was actually" comes from?

I would suppose that this depends on the hWSTE here used with the aorist;
the classical distinction in hWSTE consecutive constructions is that (a)
hWSTE + infinitive indicates natural/probable consequence, while (b) hWSTE
+ indicative indicates actual consequence--what actually happened as a
consequence of the condition previously stated--and the aorist helps here,
inasmuch as it often indicates what get accomplished. One could translate,
"so, in fact, Barnabas was swept away with them (the Jewish Christians?) by
their play-acting."

(314) 935-4018