Re: Romans 4:17: KALOUNTOS TA MH ONTA hWS ONTA (for tomorrow's sermon...)

Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:23:16 -0500 (EST)

At 12:42 PM -0500 9/21/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I'm preparing a sermon on "Faith" for tomorrow, and I think that I should
>address Romans 4:17, which is used by many "name it and claim it" ministers.
>
>The KJV translates this phrase as "calleth those things which be not as though
>they were." NASB translates the same phrase as "calls into being that which does
>not exist."
>
>There seem to be three possible interpretations of this verse:
>
>1. God called non-existent things into being. This interpretation assumes
>KALOUNTOS refers to God, that it is being used in the sense of "summoned", and
>that WS is being used in the sense of "with the result that", as in Mt. 12:12 'a
>great storm took place on the lake SO THAT (WS) the boat was covered with the
>waves'.
>
>2. God spoke of things not in existence as though they already existed. Can
>"kalountos..ws" mean "speaks of as though?
>
>3. Abraham spoke of things not in existence as though they already existed. Can
>KALOUNTOS refer to Abraham in this context?
>
>Here's the Greek:
>
>Roma 4:17 (GNT) kaqws gegraptai oti Patera pollwn eqnwn teqeika se katenanti ou
>episteusen qeou tou zwopoiountos tous nekrous kai kalountos ta mh onta ws onta

I'm not sending this reply to the list as it is essentially an exchange including my response to a very similar question posed to the list almost a year ago.Perhaps it will be helpful to you i you haven't already completed your preparations (as for me, I often do preparation after the fact!).