Re: Gal 2:13 SUNAPHXQH

Mike Phillips (mphilli3@mail.tds.net)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 06:50:33 -0700

> From: Randall McRoberts <rcm@bioanalytical.com>, on 9/24/96 10:38 AM:

> >Can anybody explain to me where the "was actually" comes from? Does anybody
> have
> >access to Zerwick's Greek Grammar to refer to section 350?
> >
> >Also, does anyone know if Greek Grammar is still in print? It isn't listed
in
> >Books in Print. Does anybody know where I can get a copy?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Jonathan

Zurwick is talking about the moods in consecutive clauses, "which have
two constructions: with the indicative if the speaker wishes to indicate the
actual realization of the consequence; with the infinitive otherwise (i.e., so
long as the speaker has no special need to indicate the actual event). An
example in John 3:16, and Gal 2:13 as the only two occurences in the NT where
WSTE introduces a subordinate clause with the indicative (not counting where a
main clause is introduced meaning therefore or so).

Mike Phillips
mphilli3@indy.tdsnet.com

A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanging;
it is the skin of living thought and changes from day
to day as does the air around us. - Oliver Wendell Holmes