Re: stop, cease, desist, cut it out, break it off, cork it

Mike Phillips (mphilli3@mail.tds.net)
Sun, 29 Sep 1996 08:24:41 -0700

> From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>, on 9/26/96 8:20 PM:
> At 8:59 AM -0500 9/27/96, John Oaklands wrote:
> >Did everyone receive the "exegeting stop signs" posting from William Cox?
> >thought it was very good but wondered about the connexion with Greek. So I
> >got to thinking which Greek word would we use for stop? Would it be KWLUW,
> >PAUW, KATALUW, hISTHMI, SIGAW, FRASSW or DIAKOPTW? And then there is the

I would opt for a 2nd plural imperative of ALLASSW, which would have
the implication of restraint as well as one of taking turns. It might be
middle or not, after all, if it was at a chariot crossing, what is restrained
might be horses, not selves. How would the ancients have considered the act of
restraining their horses? Wouldn't it be a virile thing to do (particularly on
a chariot). Hardly a middle, in that case. There would need to be an active
sense of restraining, marshalling and exhanging privilege. It would be an
ongoing process, i.e., one always holds their horses, it is the manner in which
they should be commanded at any given instant which would need explication. I
would need more info in that regard in the difference between aorist and
present, i.e., if an action is continuous, but a qualifier for the action is
momentary, with a beginning and an end, would the verb with the qualifying
command be in the aorist or the present?

Mike Phillips
mphilli3@indy.tdsnet.com

A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanging;
it is the skin of living thought and changes from day
to day as does the air around us. - Oliver Wendell Holmes