Re: firstborn in Col. 1:15

Wes.Williams@twcable.com
Tue, 15 Oct 96 18:43:17 MST

>Because ALL THINGS (visible and invisible) are created by him, through
>him, and for him, he cannot be a created thing.

I suppose I could contribute here having just completed a research project on
the use of PAS in context (thanks to all on the list who contributed to the
research). I would recommend caution in making an assertive statement with
respect to theology on the use of TA PANTA. This is because it is common to
except the subject in the context from the PAS, or TA PANTA. I did not realize
how widespread it was until I examined each use. Here are _some_ of the examples
of my research I will share....

[Peter is mentioned in the same context as PANTES the disciples. However, this
does not mean that Peter was not also a disciple. Peter is also included. The
NIV here adds "other" to reflect this and to smooth out the English translation]
GNT Matthew 26:35 legei autw ho Petros, Kan deh me sun soi apoqanein, ou mh se
aparnhsomai. homoiws kai PANTES hoi maqhtai eipan.
NIV Matthew 26:35 But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will
never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.

[The mustard seed is mentioned with the class of PANTWN the seeds. Does this
mean that the mustard seed is not a seed? No. The New American Standard Versions
reflect that understanding in their translations]
GNT Matthew 13:32 ho mikroteron men estin PANTWN twn spermatwn. hotan de auxhqh
meizon twn lacanwn estin kai ginetai dendron, hwste elqein ta peteina tou
ouvranou kai, kataskhnoun en tois kladois autou
NAS Matthew 13:32 and this is smaller than all other seeds; but when it is full
grown, it is larger than the garden plants, and becomes a tree, so that THE
BIRDS OF THE AIR come and NEST IN ITS BRANCHES. "
NAB Matthew 13:32 and this is smaller than all other seeds, but when it is full
grown, it is larger than the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that THE BIRDS
OF THE AIR come and NEST IN ITS BRANCHES."

[Herod's taking of his brother's wife is mentioned in connection with PANTWN
Herod's evil deeds. This would not mean that the taking of his brother's wife
was not also an evil deed.]
GNT Luke 3:19 ho de Hrwdhs ho tetraarchs elegcomenos hup autou peri Hrwdiados
ths gunaikos tou adelfou autou kai peri PANTWN wn epoihsen ponhrwn ho Hrwdhs,
NIV Luke 3:19 But when John rebuked Herod the tetrarch because of Herodias, his
brother's wife, and all the other evil things he had done,

[The mint and rue were garden herbs (or, vegetables) and are mentioned in
context with PAN the garden herbs. This would not except the mint and rue from
being garden vegatables. They are also included]
GNT Luke 11:42 alla ouai humin tois Farisaiois, hoti apodekatoute to hHduosmon
kai to phganon kai PAN lacanon kai parercesqe thn krisin kai thn agaphn tou
qeou.
NIV Luke 11:42 "Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint,
rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of
God.

[Here the Galileans in the subject are of the same class as PANTAS the
Galileans. In English a translator might choose to use "other" to show that
understanding and to smooth out the translation]
GNT Luke 13:2 kai apokriqeis eipen autois, Dokeite hoti hoi Galilaioi houtoi
amartwloi para PANTAS tous Galilaious egenonto hoti tauta peponqasin;
NIV Luke 13:2 Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse
sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way?
NAS Luke 13:2 And He answered and said to them, "Do you suppose that these
Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered
this fate?
NAB Luke 13:2 And Jesus said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were
greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate?
NRS Luke 13:2 He asked them, "Do you think that because these Galileans suffered
in this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans?
NKJ Luke 13:2 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Do you suppose that these
Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered
such things?

[Ditto for Luke 13:4]
GNT Luke 13:4 hH ekeinoi hoi dekaoktw ef hous epesen ho purgos en tw Silwam kai
apekteinen autous, dokeite hoti autoi ofeiletai egenonto para PANTAS tous
anqrwpous tous katoikountas Ierousalhm;
NKJ Luke 13:4 "Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed
them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in
Jerusalem?

[The following is noteworthy even though it does not use PAS, but the principle
is the same. Peter is mentioned with a group, but the group includes Peter
himself. This does not mean that Peter was not a member of the group of
apostles, rather, he also was included in the group. In English, we might use
"other" to smooth out the translation as some do.]
GNT Acts 5:29 apokriqeis de Petros kai hoi apostoloi eipan Peiqarcein dei qew
mallon hH anqrwpois
KJV Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to
obey God rather than men.
NKJ Acts 5:29 But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: "We ought to
obey God rather than men.

[Immorality (or fornication) is mentioned in the immediate context with PAN
sins. I appreciate all the responses I received in response to my post on this
verse. The conclusion is that fornication is also a sin and included in the
category of "sins"]
GNT 1 Corinthians 6:18 feugete thn porneian. PAN hamarthma ho ean poihsh
anqrwpos ektos tou swmatos estin ho de porneuwn eis to idion swma hamartanei.
NIV 1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits
are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.
NAS 1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is
outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
NAB 1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is
outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.

[In the following, TA PANTA grammatically includes God himself in the context
who did the subjecting. But evidently to avoid any misunderstanding, Paul
explicitly excepted God. This explicit exception would not have been necessary
if it were grammatically unambiguous. However, even if Paul did not except God
explicitly, a reader using reasonableness should know to except God anyway. But
the grammar itself allows for ambiguity.]
GNT 1 Corinthians 15:27 PANTA gar hupetaxen hupo tous podas autou. hotan de eiph
hoti PANTA hupotetaktai dhlon hoti ektos tou hupotaxantos autw TA PANTA
NAB 1 Corinthians 15:27 For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET.
But when He says, "All things are put in subjection," it is evident that He is
excepted who put all things in subjection to Him.

In conclusion, EN AUTW EKTISQH TA PANTA grammatically may or may not include the
one in the context. In other words, one cannot make a theological statement from
the use of TA PANTA. I suppose one _could_, but one should do so with knowledge
of the weakness of the statement. The farthest one can go with this verse
recognizing the limitations of the grammar is to say that Christ was involved in
the creation of all things. But whether or not Christ was also created (or,
begotten) by the Father must be determined elsewhere.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams