Re: Mark's Greek

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:49:27 -0400

At 09:52 10/17/96 -0400, David L. Moore wrote:
> I did a search of the NT and found that the idiom of IDE addressed
>to a plural audience is at least as common in John as in Mark. Matthew, and
>even Paul also employ the expression. Its absence from Luke, both in his
>Gospel and Acts, seems to confirm my surmise that it is a Semitic idiom.

Thank you for doing the legwork on this. I checked the references in
my BDF and found the index of citations to be incompete, but some of
these passages (not Mk16:6 though) are discussed in BDF:

$ 144 n. . . . . The nom. with IDOU ($ 128(7)) and IDE (e.g. IDE
hO AMNOS TOU QEOU Jn1:29 and often) is explicable on the
basis that these are frozen imperatives like AGE FERE
(IDOU is a particle already in Att.), a conclusion which
follows from their combination with the plural (e.g. IDE
AKOUSATE Mt26:65, AGE hOI LEGONTES Jm4:13; cf. 5:1, $ 364(2)).
. . . .

Section 127(7) explains that EINAI is omitted following IDOU and is
a Semiticism on the model of Hebr. HINNEH, Aram HAH.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.