Re: [Intro Greek]: Independent Subjunctives

Sun, 20 Oct 1996 07:20:44 -0500

As there are a couple points here that are misleading and/or wrong, I just
want to make note of them, deleting the rest.

At 11:01 PM -0500 10/19/96, Mr. Timothy T. Dickens wrote:
>At 08:42 PM 10/19/96 -0700, Dexter Garnier wrote:
>>Dear Intro_Greek Listers,
>>
>>I am trying to teach myself Greek and am hoping I can find help here. My
>>question is about Independent Subjunctives and whether or not voice
>>affects translation. For instance in the following Prohibitive
>>Subjunctive examples:
>>
>>MH PAUSHTE -- Aorist Subjunctive Active 2 person plural
>
>This means "Don't Stop!"

But this form would most appropriately used with a personal object: "Don't
stop X (from doing Y).

>>MH PAUSHSQE (Q=THETA) -- Aorist Subjunctive Middle 2 person plural
>
>This means "Don't be stoped!" e.g. "Don't be stoped by the Athenians!" (The
>ending is passive and not middle! Usually contexts makes it clear which
>option to chose)

No this never has a passive sense--not in the aorist or not this verb: the
sense is rather what you suggested for the active: "Don't stop (yourself).

>>MH PAUQHTE (Q=THETA) -- Aorist Subjunctive Passive 2 person plural
>
>This is not Aorist. You would need a sigma (s) as in your example above. My
>friend, this example is confusing! Where did you get it? Is it correctly
>copied from your book? Please let me know. What's confusing about it is
>the 'QH' indicator. This is an indicator of the passive voice. The 'TE'
>ending is an active ending. Thus, you have both active and passive voice in
>one verb. I have never seen this ever. An ending can be both
>middle/passive, but not passive and active.

On the contrary this IS Aorist passive and means "Don't be stopped!" The
Aorist Passive stem has -QH- added to the verbal root, a very simple matter
for a vocalic stem like PAIDEU- or LU- or PAU-.

(314) 935-4018