Re: Good Greek? (Examples from textbook exercises)

Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:31:46 -0500

At 6:17 PM -0500 10/22/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>I'm working my way systematically through Hewett's New Testament Greek.
>Today, I
>ran into three sentences I had questions about:
>
>1. hH KALH PARQENOS ECEI TEKNON TOU QEOU.
>
>I am not sure if this is ambiguous. It could mean "the beautiful virgin will
>have a child of God". If this refers to childbearing, would a more
>specific verb
>than ECEI need to be used? Could this same sentence be used to refer to a
>woman
>who will marry a son of God?
>
>I notice that Matthew 1:23 mentions that she will ECEI EN GASTRI and TECETAI a
>son.

Does "C" here stand for Xi = KS? I thought most people were using it for
Chi. At any rate, if ECEI is supposed to represent a future tense, it
should be hECEI, but this is, IMHO, a barbarism. TECETAI is what's wanted;
"have a child" is English idiom, not Greek. In Mt 1:23 it is hECEI (I'd
prefer to write, for clarity's sake, hEKSEI), but it used idiomatically
with EN GASTRI as an idiomatic phrase EN GASTRI EXEIN, "to be pregnant."
EXEIN is the Greek verb regularly used with adverbs and adverbial
expressions such as KAKWS EXEIN, "be ill" or "be ill-disposed."

> . . . Could this same sentence be used to refer to a woman
>who will marry a son of God?

No; the appropriate verb for a woman would be the middle GAMOUMAI with a
dative of the (man/masculine God) married.

>2. hOSOI PISTEUOUSIN TOUS LOGOUS TOUS TOU KURIOU TON QEON BLEYOUSIN.
>
>Can anybody help me parse TOUS LOGOUS TOUS TOU KURIOU? The second TOUS
>throws me
>for a loop.

Look up "predicative position" as opposed to "attributive position" in your
grammar. The addition of the second TOUS makes TOU KURIOU function like an
attributive adjective with TOUS LOGOUS. I've always found it easiest to
explain this to students by saying that in the above sentence TOUS TOU
KURIOU is like a substantive in apposition to the preceding articular noun,
and that the sequence can best be understood as "the words, i.e. those of
the Lord."

>3. hH hODOS hH hETERA AXEI TAS YUXAS THS EREMOU EIS THN ZWHN THS DIKAIAS.
>
>The key translates TAS YUXAS THS EREMOU as "the living creatures of the
>desert".
>Louw and Nida discuss YUXAS ZWHS as "living creature", but not YUXAS
>alone. Can
>this phrase really be translated this way?

IMHO this is pretty weird Greek. Are you now using "X" for "KS"? If so, and
as it stands, the only sense I can make of it is "The other path will lead
the lives/souls of the wilderness into the life of the righteous lady."
YUXH (or PSUXH) can mean "soul" but tends more in NT usage to mean "life."

Was the subject heading "Good Greek?" or "Good Grief!"? If you've
transliterated these sentences correctly, I'd have to express the judgment
(with regard to the first and the third) that it is very dangerous for an
instructor to put made-up Greek into a textbook or workbook without
checking it with a dozen other people who know Greek pretty well.

(314) 935-4018