Re: Phil 2:17-18

Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:03:58 -0500

At 4:21 PM -0500 10/23/96, BillCombs@aol.com wrote:
>In Phil 2:17 Paul tells the Philippians " I rejoice and I rejoice with you
>all" (CHAIRW KAI SUGCHAIRW PASIN hUMIN). Because Paul says that he "rejoices
>with" (SUGCHAIRW) with Philippians, the implication is that the Philippians
>were already rejoicing. However, in v. 18 Paul follows with an imperative,
>"you also should rejoice and rejoice with me" (KAI hUMEIS CHAIRETE KAI
>SUGCHAIRETE MOI). How can Paul exhort the Philippians to rejoice in v. 18
>when v. 17 (SUGCHAIRW) implies they are already rejoicing?
>
>Lightfoot (Commentary on Philippians, p. 119) sought to solve the problem by
>arguing that SUGCHAIRW means "congratulate." BAGD (p. 775) lists
>"congratulate as a possible meaning here and in Luke 1:58. Silva (Commentary
>on Philippians, p. 152) observes that Lightfoot's suggestion has not received
>much acceptance. "Congratulate" does not seems to make any sense in
>Philippians.
>
>Silva notes that "Kennedy helpfully points to 1 Cor 12:26." This is a
>reference to Kennedy's commentary in the Expositor's Greek Testament. Silva
>solves the problem by translating SUGCHAIRW with "share my joy." Apparently,
>he believes that 1 Cor 12:26 may offer some support for this translation.
>This translation does solve the problem: (v. 17) "I rejoice and share my joy
>with you all..." (v. 18) "you also should rejoice and share your joy with
>me."
>
>Loh and Nida in their A Translator's Handbook on Paul's Letter to the
>Philippians (published by the United Bible Societies) follow TEV/GNB and also
>translate SUGCHAIRW as "share my joy." Interestingly, however, in the United
>Bible Societies lexicon by Louw and Nida they list no such meaning for
>SUGCHAIRW.
>
>Any thoughts?

A thought, albeit one that appears to run counter to all this advice. What
seems natural to me, at any rate, is that the natural sense of 2:17 (CHAIRW
KAI SUGCHAIRW PASIN hUMIN) OUGHT to be "I am happy and I share the
happiness of you all--and that the naturasense of 2:18 (KAI hUMEIS CHAIRETE
KAI SUGCHAIRETE MOI) OUGHT in the same fashion to be "Be happy, you also,
and share my happiness."

After all, when XAIRE/TE is used as a salutation or farewell, it's sense is
"you should be happy" or "I wish you happiness." Therefore, it seems to me
that 2:18 ought to MEAN "I wish you happiness and I bid you share my
happiness." It seems to me that the happiness shared ought to be that
accruing to the party indicated by the dative pronoun.

(314) 935-4018