Re: Romans 7:14-25 -- Historical Present

Somi Chuhon (kittycat@uniserve.com)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:20:53 -0700

At 02:41 PM 10/25/96 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>I've always thought there
>was something useful in comparing this passage with Mark's account (chapter
>5:1ff.) of the Gerasene Demoniac, which I (personally) am inclined to see
>as a figurative account of precisely the beleaguered, helpless condition of
>a person released by Christ from that bondage. Or the passage could also be
>viewed (I won't try to develop this interpretation here, as it doesn't
>really depend upon the Greek text) as an interpretation, offered in the
>first-person singular, of the account of the fall of Adam and Eve in
>Genesis 2-3.

Are you making the assumption, then, that these are tales and not ACTUAL
events in history? Or are you saying that these are interpretations of the
actual event? If the former, I think you will run into Scriptural authority
difficulties.

As for the historical present, is this enough to go on to say that this
section in Romans is autobiographical? I find that the context of the
chapter can give additional support to your thesis. I have no position on
it at the moment but your comment gives me some incentive to look into it
further -- but after I get these assignments done! :)

Somi.
\|/
-----------oooO-(. .)-Oooo--------------------------------
0
For I am convinced that neither death nor life,
neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future,
nor any other powers,
neither height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to seperate us from the love of God
that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38,39