Re: Reading the classics to improve fine-tuning

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:20:00 -0400

At 08:05 PM 10/24/96 -0500, Edgar Krentz wrote:
>THE CD ROM CAN BE READ ALSO IN WINDOWS FORMAT,
>BY A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT PROGRAMS.CHECK THE TLG WEB PAGE FOR INFORMATION
>ABOUT THESE PROGRAMS. ITS URL IS
>
>http://www.uci.edu:80/~tlg/

I've looked at this, but they want something like $500.00 for a 5 year
license to get the TLG CD. Add a reader to this, and I'm way over budget.

>>Is there any easy way in for little Greeks who want to read outside the GNT?
>
>Unfortunately, NO. But we all began the same way, laboriously reading
>texts, at first perhaps paging a school edition with built in vocabulary,
>then graduating to the intermediate Liddell and Scott, and finally, as we
>read more obscure texts, the LSJ unabridged. It's slow, it's arduous, but
>there is no way around it.

At this point, I still haven't read most of the GNT in Greek. Would it make
more sense for me to finish the GNT and parts of the Septuagint before
venturing into other, more difficult forms of Greek? Especially if I have to
buy new Grammars, new Lexica, and other aids to read classical Greek?

>>Of course, time is the real problem. Reading *any* Greek takes real time
>>for me, and real effort.

> WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

I thought you Really Big Greeks read Greek faster than English ;->
Seriously, there *has* to be a big difference. For me, there is still a
difference between reading German and reading English, but not much, not
enough to keep me from reading a book in German rather than in English. Do
people ever get to that point in dead languages?

Re: your lists of authors by difficulty

Thanks! This is very helpful. Any suggestions for Apostolic Fathers? You say
they are relatively simple, and I would find them interesting.

>Sorry for this longer post. But I do like to encourage anyone who has the
>interest to jump in the water and work to stay afloat.

Thanks, I appreciate it! But I'm examining those waters very carefully
before I jump in any deeper than I am already...

Jonathan