Re: Reading the classics to improve fine-tuning

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:09:56 -0400

At 09:03 AM 10/25/96 -0500, Michael Holmes wrote:

>Jonathan,
>You might begin with the two documents related to Polycarp: his _Letter to
>the Philippians_, and then _The Martyrdom of Polycarp._ The former will
>remind you a great deal of some NT documents, while the latter tells an
>interesting tale in a rather straightforward narrative style. Save the
>_Epistle to Diognetus_ for last; it will be a nice bridge to secular
>writers.

I just ordered a Loeb catalog. They seem to have two volumes devoted to the
Apostolic Fathers, with Greek and English on facing pages. Each book costs
$18.95.

>Finally--and this is my main reason for the note--as an intro
>to the AF, a nice little book has just been published this month: Clayton
>Jefford et al., _Reading the Apostolic Fathers: An Introduction_
>(Hendrickson, 1996). Though it will not help you with the Greek, it does
>pack a great deal of introductory material about the AF into a very nice
>format, and will give some context to what you read in the AF themselves.

That will probably be very helpful. I've had little exposure to the
Apostolic Fathers (Mennonites aren't generally big on patristics, and
neither are computer scientists...), so I'll probably need some kind of
introduction.

Thanks!

Jonathan