Re: Need a translation

Tue, 29 Oct 1996 10:19:55 -0800

At 12:19 PM -0600 10/29/96, Jim Brooks wrote:
>I know that this is extremely off topic for some of the lists that this is
>going to, so I apologize in advance. However, can some kindly soul out there
>translate the following Latin quotation for me?
>
> Componitur orbis
>Regis ad exemplum; nec tantum inflectere sensus
>Humanos edicta valent, quam vita regentis.
>Mobile mutatur semper cum principe vulgus.

Although this is in Latin hexameters, I won't attempt anything but a prose version that attempts to express the full meaning rather than to be literal:

"(Our) world is patterned after the king; and yet edicts cannot impact upon the senses so much as (does) the ruler's life(-style). (Just as) fickle, the populace always changes in company with (its) ruler."