Re: [Intro Greek]: "BAPTIZW" (fwd)

Timothy T. Dickens (ttd3@columbia.edu)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:15:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

This gentleman below I think could use some help from the B-Greek
discusion group.

Peace
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:02:51 GMT+0200From: P J Janse van Rensburg <PJJVR@AKAD.SUN.AC.ZA>
To: intro_greek@perseus.tufts.edu
Subject: Re: [Intro Greek]: "BAPTIZW"

On Fri, 25 Oct 96 14:16 GMT+0200 CONNELL MARK STEVEN wrote

> I hope someone can help me. Why did our english translators not translate
> "BAPTIZW", but instead tranliterated it? Am I wrong that the meaning
> of "BAPTIZW" is "to immerse?" It seems to me to be an important distinction
> when determining acceptable modes and methods of baptism for us today. Should
> we not read the NT passages by inserting "to immerse" instead of the
> tranliterated "baptize?" Any insight and help in how to translate "BAPTIZW"
> would be appreciated.

Why don't you consult different dictionaries (theological ones as
well). That would be a good start and you'll get a lot of
scripture references.

Have a look at the Greek-English Lexicon Based on Semantic Domains by
J.P. Louw and E. Nida. They have quite a few remarks on BAPTIZW and
this dictionary is intended for translators.

Regards
Pieter Janse van Rensburg
pjjvr@akad.sun.ac.za