Re: Greek Texts

Somi Chuhon (kittycat@uniserve.com)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 23:08:44 -0800

At 06:52 AM 10/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At our education committee meeting last night it was suggested that a class be
>offered in beginning greek. Do any of you have any suggestions as to a good
>textbook or curriculum choice that would fit a church bible class setting? It
>would be taught over a 13 week course (longer if the interest is there) that
>meets just once a week. I am hoping to encourage a longer time frame and need
>the initial material to challenge and not discourage the students. Thanks for
>any help you can offer.
>
>Mark Connell
>Student
>David Lipscomb University
>3901 Granny White Pike
>Nashville, TN 37204

WOW! I'm hearing and seeing such good efforts to bring Greek into the
churches. It's good to see that people are finally "facing their fears" or
at least giving themselves the benefit of the doubt in learning this
language. I think we've given it a reputation of difficulty far beyond what
it deserves! I am hoping to do the same (with a couple recruits already in
tact!). I am planning to use the Mounce's _Basics in Biblical Greek_ which
helps not only in teaching them Greek in an organized fashion, but also
intorduces some exegetical points along the way to "wet their appetite." It
also comes with a workbook that introduces the student to the biblical text
right away.

I have also heard of the text "Greek to Me" (forgot the author of it) and in
checking it out, it seems like a very clever way to teach Greek
visually...maybe more appropriate for the lay church setting sice it does
not seem to give that high academic flavor as some texts I have seen.
Admittedly, I don't know much about it but I have heard some good things
about it. Perhaps someone else can give you more info on it. Best of luck!

Somi.
\|/
-----------oooO-(. .)-Oooo--------------------------------
0
For I am convinced that neither death nor life,
neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future,
nor any other powers,
neither height nor depth,
nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to seperate us from the love of God
that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38,39