Re: substantive form of "Kill"

Fri, 1 Nov 1996 05:43:18 -0600

At 10:35 AM -0600 10/31/96, KULIKOVSKY, Andrew wrote:
>Fellow Greeks,
>
>APOKTEINW means "I kill" but what is the substantive
>form of this verb ie. "killer"?

The normal way to put this is to substantivize the participle: hO
APOKTEINWN, which can, of course, be inflected: TOU APOKTEINONTOS, etc.
There are also, of course, standard suffixes that can be used with verbal
stems/roots such as -EUS (3rd decl.): GRAMMATEUS, GRAFEUS, -WR & -HR (3rd
decl): hRHTWR, KOSMOKRATWR; -THS (1st decl.): POIHTHS, NAUTHS, KLEPTHS,
KTISTHS, etc. For "killer" the only word that I think may appear in the NT
is FONEUS, "murderer."

(314) 935-4018