Re: Acts 2:6, is LALOUNTWN AUTWN absolute genitive?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Sat, 02 Nov 1996 13:55:12 -0500

At 06:03 AM 11/2/96 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:43 PM -0600 11/1/96, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>In Acts 2:6, is LALOUNTWN AUTWN another absolute genitive? It fits the form,
>>but I'm not sure if it fits the meaning.
>>
>>Acts 2:6 (GNT) GENOMENHS DE THS FWNHS TAUTHS SUNHLQEN TO PLHQOS KAI
>>SUNECUQH, OTI HKOUON EIS EKASTOS TH IDIA DIALEKTW LALOUNTWN AUTWN.
>>Acts 2:6 (NASU) And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and
>>were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own
>>language.
>
>No; AKOUW regularly takes a genitive (probably partitive with verbs of
>perception) object, so here LALOUNTWN is here simply complementary to AUTWN.
>
>However, the initial phrase, GENOMENHS DE THS FWNHS TAUTHS, is a splendid
>genitive absolute! You didn't miss IT, did you? I have to say that one
>petty annoyance I find with editors of Greek and Latin texts is that they
>don't set off genitive absolutes by comma, as I really think they should do.

Actually, I did *not* miss it. I'm getting better at this...
And yes, I would love to have a comma there.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C.
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com
http://www.poet.com <--- shockwave enabled!