Re: Lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life

Paul Zellmer (pzellmer@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 08:06:07 -0800

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I was very impressed by Martin Buber's comment on
> the 10th commandment: he said it was the foundation for all the other
> commandments regarding interpersonal relationships--that the others were
> concrete prohibitions of particular acts but this one warned against the
> very underlying attitude of envy of one's neighbor that makes it possible
> for one to carry out those concrete acts.

An interesting comment. I have not yet been exposed to a work that
presented this summarization of the second part of the decalogue. Can
you provide some further bibliographical info on Buber's comment?

Thanks,

Paul Zellmer
Southern Methodist Missions