Re: Greek Text Commentary

Randall McRoberts (rmcrob@holli.com)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 21:49:27 -0500

At 10:40 AM 11/6/96 EST, KULIKOVSKY, Andrew wrote:
>Fellow Greeks,
>
>I saw in the latest CBD catalogue that EERDMANS is
>publishing a series called NEW INTERNATIONAL
>GREEK TEXT COMMENTARY.
>
>The series looks like it is only half complete though.
>
>Has anyone had a look at these? What are they like?
>Are they any good?
>
>Praises or criticisms anyone?
>
>cheers,
>Andrew

I hesitated responding after seeing a Big Greek like David Scholer post on
this, but I thought you might also like to hear the opinion of a microGreek,
or perhaps a nanoGreek. (Sorry to those who find the terminology offensive;
I find it delightful. I also find it delightful to see my name next to
Winberry, Conrad, Scholer, et al.)

I purchased my first volume in the series in about 1985, Bruce on Galatians.
It really spurred me into learning Greek on my own. I have reread and
restudied it to great profit several times since. I also have Marshall on
Luke, O'Brien on Phillipians, Wanamaker on 1,2 Thess, Knight on the
Pastorals, and Davids on James. I have used and enjoyed them all regularly.

I concur with Scholer (as if my vote counted) as to the value and also the
varying quality of the works. I plan to include as many as I can get in my
own library, and I'm always excited to see a new volume.

Randall McRoberts

Apply thyself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to thyself.