Re: Comments on the future

Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 21:06:16 -0500

Mark O'Brien wrote on Nov 7:

>It prompts me to ask you a question... what aspect do you normally
>associate with the future tense (in both Classical and Koine)? Do you think
>that the apparent morphological link with the aorist indicates any kind of
>aspectual similarity?

Yes, I do. If you read what I cited from Dionysius Thrax, he clearly
recognies that the infix sigma in both first aorist and future has the same
function, to mark the action as undetermined in regard to time. [It's the
prefixed epsilon, the augment, that functions as a temporal phoneme in the
aorist.] That is why one could just as well call an aorist subjunctive a
future subjunctive, i.e. it is the subjunctive that is undetermined
temporally.

This will probably start some reactive juices flowing--I hope. :-)

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
emkrentz@mcs.com OR ***** ekrentz@lstc.edu
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street