Re: A word on "parthenos"

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@washdc.mindspring.com)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:05:57 -0500

I've had a request to cross-post the following message I wrote for the
b-hebrew list, so here it is. Its topic discusses whether "parthenos"
must mean "virgin." It does not -- at least in the older dialects.

As for "parthenos" having a masculine reading ("male virgin"), the only
support for it cited in the LSJ is in Revelation, though there must be
others. BAGD was a bit unclear, but I think it cited it other places in
Greek literature. Foreign analogues include the use of Latin VIRGO to
describe John the Apostle in the Monarchian prologue, and, of course,
modern English, where "virgin" can be applied to men.

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.