Re: Questions about AORIST PASSIVE

TICHY@cmtfnw.upol.cz
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:29:45 MET+2

Carl Conrad wrote:

> On the other hand, however, I would still argue
>that when the verb> EGEIRW/EGEIROMAI is used of resurrection from the
>dead, it is without> exception transitive and has either an explicit
>or implicit agent--God--as> responsible for the resurrection. Which
>is to say: HGERQH, when it denotes the restoration of life to one
>who is dead, is not intransitive but passive. And while it is true
>that the ANESTH does appear later as an intransitive designation of
>Jesus's resurrection (the Easter formulae: XRISTOS ANESTH/ANESTH
>ALHQWS), yet the earlier formulation appears to be
>"God has raised him" or "He has been raised (by God)."

I am very grateful to Carl Conrad for his excellent and
exact explanations of so many problems of the New Testament Greek.
But a master needn't be always precise. In 1 Thess 4:14 -- the
oldest book of the New Testament according to majority opinion --
we read: IHSOUS APEQANEN KAI ANESTH. So, ANESTH isn't late. The middle
voice of the verb EGEIRW, it seems to me, cannot be altogether
excluded even in the texts concerning the resurrection of Jesus.

Ladislav Tichy
Faculty of Theology
Palacky University
Olomouc