[Fwd: Re: hOTI in the beattitudes]

Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:17:45 -0600

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:17:56 -0600
From: Eric Weiss <eweiss@gte.net>
To: greek@ns.kconline.com
Subject: Re: hOTI in the beattitudes

KULIKOVSKY, Andrew wrote:

> Fellow Greeks,
>
> I don't understand the sense of hOTI in the beattitudes (Matt 5:3-12).
> hOTI is a 'marker of cause or reason based on an evident fact'
> - Louw & Nida in sect. 89.33
>
> Now if this is the case, what is the casue or reason in the
> beattitudes?
>
> The way it is worded it sounds like the meek are blessed by God
> (have His approval and favour) because they will inherit the
> earth.
>
> Isn't it the other way round? The meek will inherit the earth
> BECAUSE they are blessed by God.
>
> Am I understanding this right? With hOTI which phrase is the
> cause of the other???
>
> Big Greeks, HELP!
>
> cheers,
> Andrew
>
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS
> |
> | Software Engineer
> | British Aerospace Australia
> | Technology Park, Adelaide
> | ph: +618 8290 8268
> | fax: +618 8290 8800
> | email: akulikov@baea.com.au
> |
> | What's the point of gaining everything this world has
> | to offer, if you lose your own life in the end?
> |
> | ...Look to Jesus Christ
> |
> | hO IESOUS KURIOS!
If MAKARIOS is understood to mean "fortunate" or "lucky" as a recent
discussion on this list pointed out, then there is no problem with the
hOTI. "How fortunate are the meek, for they shall inherit the land!"
"Those who mourn [now] are truly fortunate [rather than to be pitied],
for they shall be comforted." Etc.