Re: Third Aorist - an example

Thu, 28 Nov 1996 14:24:05 +0400

At 4:24 AM -0600 11/28/96, Carlton Winbery wrote:
>Carl Conrad wrote;
>> Ain't theory wunnerful?
>
>I remember in the early 60's in N.O., La two radio nuts who used to say
>that a female ostrich could run 37 mph and a male ostrich could run 38 mph.
>Ain't nature wunnerful? Did that stick back there somewhere?

That would be a bit past my New Orleans days; I left "permanently" (except
for short visits to my parents while they still lived there and later to my
sister who still does live there) in 1958, when I went to teach at Warren
Wilson College in North Carolina, then to Harvard in 1959 to finish
graduate work.

HOWEVER: I have heard that it has been proven by aeronautical engineers
that the aerodynamic configuration of the bumblebee is such that it is
incapable of flying. "Wunnerful," of course, comes from Lawrence Welk.

Incidentally, I don't know whether this is something you're interested in,
but I did finally get an address for JB McMinn through the good offices of
the chair of Classics at U of Alabama: it's

Professor J. B. McMinn
Route 3, Box 8627
Salem Community
Rusk, TX 75785
Phone: 903-683-2176

I haven't yet tried to contact him (I just got this very recently) but I
may sit down and write him today (I wish he had e-mail; it's so much
easier!).

Regards, c