Re: platforms for Biblical Studies

ptl@sprynet.com
Thu, 28 Nov 1996 20:31:24 -0800

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros@iol.ie>
wrote:

>I quite agree with Greg.
>
>However, maybe it is time to revive this little piece from
Umberto Eco?

TO TAKE THIS ONE STEP FURTHER -- with some software
being written so that the same CD will run on either Mac or
Dos platforms (such as the SAGE Digital Library) we may be
seeing a new ECUMENICAL MOVEMENT! We are moving beyond the
Reformation, the Counter Reformation, Age of Enlightenment,
and into the new age of Ecumincal Movement (all platforms
accepted)!

*********************

>The following excerpts are from an English translation of
Umberto Eco's
>back-page column, "La bustina di Minerva," in the Italian
news weekly
>"Espresso," September 30, 1994.
>
> ..."Insufficient consideration has been given to the
new underground
>religious war which is modifying the modern world. It's an
old idea of
>mine, but I find that whenever I tell people about it they
immediately
>agree with me.
>
> "The fact is that the world is divided between users of
the Macintosh
>computer and users of MS-DOS compatible computers. I am
firmly of the
>opinion that the Macintosh is Catholic and that DOS is
Protestant. Indeed,
>the Macintosh is counter-reformist and has been influenced
by the 'ratio
>studiorum' of the Jesuits. It is cheerful, friendly,
conciliatory, it
>tells the faithful how they must proceed step by step to
reach--if not the
>Kingdom of Heaven--the moment in which their document is
printed. It is
>catechistic: the essence of revelation is dealt with via
simple formulae
>and sumptuous icons. Everyone has a right to salvation.
>
> "DOS is Protestant, or even Calvinistic. It allows
free interpretation
>of scripture, demands difficult personal decisions,
imposes a subtle
>hermeneutics upon the user, and takes for granted the idea
that not all can
>reach salvation. To make the system work you need to
interpret the program
>yourself: a long way from the baroque community of
revellers, the user is
>closed within the loneliness of his own innter torment.
>
> "You may object that, with the passage to Windows, the
DOS universe has
>come to resemble more closely the counter-reformist
tolerance of the
>Macintosh. It's true: Windows represents an
Anglican-style schism, big
>ceremonies in the cathedral, but there is always the
possibility of a
>return to DOS to change things in accordance with bizarre
decisions; when
>it comes down to it, you can decide to allow women and gays
to be ministers
>if you want to. ...
>
> "And machine code, which lies beneath both systems (or
environments, if
>you prefer)? Ah, that is to do with the Old Testament,
and is talmudic and
>cabalistic..."
*****************
>******
>
>Regards,
>
>Maurice
>

>Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
>mauros@iol.ie
>
>[using Eudora Pro v 2.2 and Trumpet Winsock 3.0c ]

Paul Lorenzen -- Sparks, Nevada -- Email - ptl@sprynet.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ptl/lorenzen.htm

Only one life, 'twill soon be past;
only what's done for Christ will last!