Re: neuter plurals

Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:20:11 -0600

At 5:36 PM -0600 11/27/96, bill starkey wrote:
>I am interested in what the list members would regard as the primary
>resources discussing neuter plurals. If you have a favorite source
>please let me know.

It's hard to fathom from the phrasing of the question exactly what sort of
information or "resources" on neuter plurals is being sought. I'm assuming
that you are talking only about Greek neuter plurals and not neuter plurals
in general or in Indo-European languages. But what? morphology? short-alpha
nom/acc plurals? contracted nom/acc plurals in eta? singular verb with
neuter plural subjects? Any standard Greek grammar ought to cover these
morphological and syntactic patterns--and I can't imagine any competent
first-year Greek textbook failing to discuss them. Far and away the best
general grammar for Greek is H. Weir Smyth's _Greek Grammar_ published by
Harvard University Press; it should tell you anything youwant to find out
about neuter plurals in Greek, including why and how those nom/acc pluals
in eta got to be that way.

(314) 935-4018