Re: Romans 9:5

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 05 Dec 1996 15:56:58 -0500

At 02:58 PM 12/5/96 -0800, Mr. Timothy T. Dickens wrote:

Hi, Tim!

>My comment to you all has to do with the on-going discussion of how
>Romans 9:5 should be translated. When the Greek is read, one of two
>translations is possible which supports either (A) the Christ and God
>are the same person; thus, Christ is God, or (B) Christ is a different
>person from God; thus, two individuals are mentioned in the verse.

I like Zerwick & Grosvenor's comments on this:

After major punctuation hO WN KTL. will refer to God
the Father: "May God who is over all be blessed for
ever! Amen." With a comma after SARXA, hO WN would be
in apposition to Christ, "The Messiah according to
the flesh who is over all, God blessed for ever, Amen",
others otherwise.

So there is a big difference between:

Roma 9:5 (GNT) wn oi patere kai ex wn o Cristos to kata sarka, o wn epi
pantwn, qeos euloghtos eis tous aiwnas, amhn.

And:

Roma 9:5 (GNT) wn oi patere kai ex wn o Cristos to kata sarka. o wn epi
pantwn qeos euloghtos eis tous aiwnas, amhn.

This helps me understand the differences in interpretation. I don't know if
there is anything that would help choose one interpretation over the other.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728
email: jwrobie@mindspring.com, jonathan@poet.com