Re: How to memorize verb forms...

Alan Repurk (lars@repurk.mw.com)
Thu, 05 Dec 1996 17:28:46 -0800

Bill Mounce wrote:

> >I'm trying to memorize scads of verb forms. What is the best way to do this?
> >
> >Jonathan
> >

> I guess my question is, "Why?" If you check the back of my textbook I have
> listed principal (or is it "principle," I can never remember) parts and
> underlined the ones that should be memorized rather than learning ALL the
> rules that apply. There really isn't that many.
>
> Bill Mounce
> Teknia Software, Inc.
>
> Internet: billm@teknia.com
> http://www.teknia/com/teknia/
>
> "It may be Greek to you, but it is life to me."

Bill, thanks for being part of this group. I am in the process of
trying to master your chart of verbs forms in the appendix.

I am 'on my own' so to speak, so perhaps a student with a teacher would
not have a problem.

1) There are some verbs that are not underlined which have changes which
must be memorized, at least I feel the need to. For example
the aorist passive of AKOUW. There is a sigma added before the the theta
of the tense formative. I cannot remember this if I do not memorize it.
Are these deviations a problem for me because I did not memorize the
rules well enough ?

2) There are many forms that do not appear in the chart because they
are not in the NT. I somehow feel obligated to know which ones these
are.

Now as I write this I am beginning to understand where I have gone
wrong. I am trying to acquire the skill of being able to say
the chart from memory, at least when prompted with the lexical form.

It now dawns on me that I merely need to be able to recognize the
forms when I read them. I have to admit that I have been trying
to translate from English to Greek, like a conventional language.

I feel a bit self concious sending this now, but I will anyway so
that you can confirm or deny my conclusion.

Thanks, and I am really enjoying your book,
-lars