Re: hHMIN, hUMIN : were both pronounced the *same* ?

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:08:03 -0500

At 08:55 12/10/96 -0800, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:
>I think it might be helpful to all if you could cite the authorities
>from which you derived the above information...I know I'd appreciate
>it.

I would recommend W. Sidney Allen, VOX GRAECA: The Pronunciation of
Classical Greek (Cambridge: University Press, 1968) (3d ed., 1987).
There is extensive and well-reasoned treatment of the primary evidence.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.