Re: Luke 9:60 AFES TOUS NEKROUS QAYAI TOUS hEAUTWN NEKROUS

Paul Zellmer (pzellmer@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:41:50 -0800

Jeffrey and Jonathan,

I, also, have run across the explanation of the excuse, "Let me bury my
father," as a request to delay active following until family obligations
are fulfilled. I have no exposure to Link, so wherever I heard it was
not from that source. This would be in line with the second option
mentioned by Jonathan.

Jonathan, since a main purpose of Louw and Nida's work was to assist
those involved in minority language translation work, and with Nida's
emphasis on dynamic equivalence in translation (which leaves almost none
of the idioms of the original intact), my guess is that their
interpretation as you report it is not really an idiom per se. The
idiom(s) are the two references to dead--the actors and objects of the
verb "to bury". Their suggestion is an attempt to get to the "deep
meaning" of the saying of Jesus. Thus they would be satisfied with any
translation which brings out the thought, "You have missed the full
extent of the phrase, 'follow me.'" Their reference to what "some
scholars" believe is probably the only real attempt at decoding the
surface structure of the text.

I don't have Louw and Nida before me. How does this fit their
discussion?

Paul Zellmer
Southern Methodist Missions