Re: Article-Article-Noun-Noun

Mon, 16 Dec 1996 16:16:36 -0600

At 3:52 PM -0600 12/16/96, M. Palmer wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Carl W. Conrad wrote regarding the Genitive Absolute:
>
>> [SNIP] . . . it always involves a subject--noun or
>> pronoun--in the genitive and a predicate which is usually a participle (b=
ut
>> may be a predicate noun or adjective linked to the subject with an implic=
it
>> participle of EIMI), and it is grammatically independent of the other
>> structures in the sentence, although it could be said to function like an
>> adverbial clause governing the main predicate.
>
>Carl has raised an interesting point in his parenthetical statement. Do
>any of you know of any good examples IN THE NEW TESTAMENT of a genitive
>absolute construction with a predicate noun or adjective instead of the
>participle? I can't think of any clear examples in the New Testament (but
>maybe my memory is just failing me here).

I was thinking that Luke did it, but on checking the obvious passages
regarding the census in Lk 2 and the preaching of JBpt in Lk 3, I see that
Luke uses verbs rather than nouns: e.g. hHGEMONEUONTOS PONTIOU PILATOU,
etc., where I would expect something like hHGEMONOS (ONTOS) PONTIOU
PILATOU. On the other hand, in 3:2 he has EPI ARXIEREWS hANNA KAI KAIAFA,
perfectly intelligible as a genitive of time within which, but also looking
a bit like the older genitive absolute with the title and the names in the
genitive. I don't know of other examples, and I think Luke probably uses
the construction of the genitive absolute more consistently than any other
NT author.

(314) 935-4018