Re: Luke 2:14--new question

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:15:33 -0500

At 01:46 PM 12/27/96 -0500, Edward Hobbs wrote:
>The thread about a month ago on Luke 2:14 mostly focussed on the question of
>the right reading among the MSS. This current question is about the structure
>of the sentence.

I'm deleting the more interesting part of your message, which is useful and
easy to understand, since I don't think it needs my comments.

I do want to mention that the older discussion covered a lot of things about
the structure of the sentence as well - the interpretation of the phrase EN
ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS (on people of goodwill vs. on people of God's good
favor), its parallels to Qumramic hymns, why UYISTOIS is plural, the
contrast between EN hUYISTOIS and EPI GHS, what kind of dative is being used
in QEWi, the meaning of "glory" in the sentence, etc. All in all, a very
rewarding and interesting thread.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728