Re: Inceptive aorist: questionable textbook example?

Alan Repurk (lars@repurk.mw.com)
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 17:44:13 -0800

Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

> At 06:10 12/30/96 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> >I have a textbook which uses the following sentence in an exercise:
> >hO IHSOUS hO DIDASKALOS hUPHGAGE EIS THN IOUDAIAN EREMON; TOTE EDIDAXE MET
> >ANQRWPWN AUTOU.
> >
> >The answer key interprets the aorist EDIDAXE as an inceptive aorist: "he
> >began to teach". I don't understand why the aorist here should be
> >interpreted as inceptive. Is there a reason to do so?
>
> I think you've found a pedological limitation to the use of constructed
> texts. They are presented in a vacuum, without any context, which is
> essential. I looked for the aorist forms of DIDASKW in the gospels,
> and none of them are inceptive. I would guess that the author intended
> the inceptive aorist from his use of the non-classical TOTE = thereupon,
> but I can't be sure.
>
> Stephen Carlson

How about in Mr 1:21 where is was not until the sabbath had started 'EUQUS TOIS SABBASIN'
and that he had entered into the synagogue 'EISELQWN EIS THN SUNAGWGHN' that he
began to teach 'EDIDASKEN' ?

Sincerely,
-lars