Re: John 6:70 - DIABOLOS and Colwell/ Harner/ Dixon

Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet.org)
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 01:16:48 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Alan Repurk wrote:

[snip, snip]

> Paul, I could generate a list of all anarthrous predicate nominatives
> fairly easily, but I am very interested in the assignments as to
> definite,indefinite and qualitative. I noticed that you mention just
> three occurences where in the anarthrous construction preceded by
> the verb (3/53) it is not qualitative. If I might be so bold as to
> ask, which three ?

Alan, those three would be 8:42, 8:54, 4:18, but I think you meant
"anarthrous construction followed by the verb," or definite pre-copulative
anarthrous predicate nominatives. Notice in these three exceptions,
however, that they are followed by the genitive. Compare also 1:49, 5:27,
9:5, 17:17, 18:21, 18:31a, 18:13b which are accompanied by genitives, but
which I considered probably qualitative, but possibly definite.

Paul Dixon