Re: [ APO/ EK ] TWN NEKRWN

Fri, 3 Jan 1997 07:42:12 -0600

I see that nobody else has responded to this, so let me offer a weak
comment: I think this apparently undifferentiated usage of APO and EK
exemplified in these texts is probably parallel to the undifferentiated
usage of EIS + acc. and EN + (presumably locative rather than
instrumental--this seems to be altogether diferent from the use of EN in an
instrumental sense with PNEUMATI with BAPTIZEIN) dat. (and occasionally EPI
+ dat.?) with PISTEUEIN and ONOMA, which is to say: it appears that EK and
EIS, at least used with certain verbs, are no longer clearly distinguished
from APO and EN--it is simply a matter of referential direction toward or
away from that is indicated by these prepositions rather than direction
INTO or OUT-OF. Does this make sense? If it does, it's probably already in
the grammars somewhere; I don't have any grammars ready to hand as I write
at home.

At 7:01 PM -0600 1/1/97, Wes Williams wrote:
>Someone asked a question recently about why some verses regarding Jesus rai=
sed
>from the dead read APO and others EK. I would like to believe that the
>difference in usage by the same author lies beyond style variance, but perh=
aps
>not(?). I see how the APO is used in quotations, but it appears that this i=
>also true with EK. Perhaps someone else has some ideas?
>
>For example with APO:
>Matthew 14:2 KAI EIPEN TOIS PAISIN AUTOU, ... AUTOS HGERQH APO TWN NEKRWN
>Matthew 27:64 KAI EIPWSIN TWi LAWi, HYERQH APO TWN NEKRWN,
>Matthew 28:7 AIPATE TOIS MAQHTAIS AUTO hOTI HGERQH APO TWN NEKRWN,
>Luke 16:30 hO DE EIPEN, OUXI, PATER ABRAAM, ALL EAN TIS APO NEKRWN ...
>
>with EK:
>Matthew 17:9 hEWS OU hO hUIOS TOU ANQRWPOU EK NEKRWN EGERQH
>Luke 16:31 EIPEN DE AUTWi, ... OUD EAN TIS EK NEKRWN ANASTHi PEISQHSONTAI
>Luke 24:46 KAI EIPEN AUTOIS hOTI ... CRISTON KAI ANASTHNAI EK NEKRWN TH TRI=
TH
>hHMERA

(314) 935-4018