Re: Acts 5:31 ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 03 Jan 1997 15:14:06 -0500

At 01:51 PM 1/3/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 1:19 PM -0600 1/3/97, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>>At 12:58 PM -0600 1/3/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>>How should I understand the accusative for ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA in this phrase:
>>>
>>> TOUTON hO QEOS ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA hUYWSEN THi DEXIAi AUTOU
>>Isn't this simply the direct object of hUYWSEN? I suppose that you'd
>>probably have to understand hHMWN with ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA. I'd have to say,
>>however, that this looks like more home-made Greek, a patchwork made of a
>>phrase from Hebrews and a phrase from Paul and a verb from John's gospel.
>>The dative in THi DEXIAi AUTOU strikes me as sort of fishy. PLEASE don't
>>tell me that it comes straight out of the NT! (I do think you would have
>>cited author-chapter-and-verse).

It comes from Acts 5:31, which I cited in the subject line. I should have
cited it in the body of the message - I wasn't trying to set a trap.

>Clearly silence WERE preferable. Of course, as Carlton rightly notes,
>TOUTON is the direct object, ARXHGON KAI SWTHRA predicate accusative with
>hUYWSEN.

Well, this makes me feel better for not understanding it myself ;->
I really found Carlton's post helpful. Parsed this way, it makes sense to
me. Does it read like good Greek now?

But what kind of dative is being used in THi DEXIAi AUTOU? Is this what
Wallace calls a "Dative of sphere?"

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728