Re: MONOGENHS

Mr. Timothy T. Dickens (ttd3@columbia.edu)
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 00:16:57 -0500 (EST)

At 01:16 PM 1/3/97 +0400, Carlton Winbery wrote:
>It is interesting that in Hebrews Isaac is referred to as a MONOGENHS son
>to Abraham.
>
>Hebr. 11:17 PISTEI PROSENHNOCEN ABRAAM TON ISAAK PEIRAZOMENOS KAI TON
>MONOGENH PROSEFEREN, hO TAS EPAGGELIAS ANADEXAMENOS. "By faith Abraham
>brought Isaac, being tested, and offered his unique (son), the one he had
>received by promise."
>
>Now Abraham had another son, another who had been begotten, but Isaac was
>the son by a promise, the unique son.

TTD: Carlton, thanks for this reference! Actually, I was looking for it in
Genesis 22 of the LXX. I did not find MONOGHNHS there, but I can see from
your comment that it was used in the book of Hebrews. In any case, the only
reason why I mention this is because this raises another exegetical
question; notice the comment below:

Collver@msn.com wrote:
>Hello Denny and List,

> The translation of "only-begotten" for MONOGENHS is probably best. MONOGENHS
>comes from MONO "one, single" and GIGNOMAI "becoming, be born." Someone who is
>MONOGENHS has no siblings. They are the only child of the parents.

TTD: The narrative of Genesis tells us that Issac had a brother (a sibling)
named Ishmael, but would Collver@msn.com be incorrect about the
MONOGHNHS-sibling issue, since the word MONOGHNHS is not used in the LXX
text of Genesis to describe the relationship of Abraham to Issac but is used
later in the book of Hebrews?

Tim Dickens
Smyrna, GA